March 16, 2009

From Ireland With Love

Happy (early) St. Patrick's Day!!



I made these earlier today while Caleb was napping.

They're mint chocolate cookies. Mmmmmm! Mint and chocolate are a match made in heaven! They passed the husband test, too. ;) As sweet as they look, they are not overpowering, either in the mint or the chocolate department. Just the right amount of each, blended together for a green-minty-Irish-chocolatey-cloud-confection.

I found the recipe in an Irish Crafts and Cook book I saw at the grocery store the other day. You know, the ones that are only produced and sold for the holiday? I don't usually buy such items, but these cookies looked too good to be ignored. The book has some other interesting recipes (and a few crafts I may try my hand at), so I bought it.

The best part? These cookies are super easy! I'm sorta wishing I'd doubled the recipe now, so I could take some to class tonight. Oh well . . . I guess we'll just have to enjoy them here at home. We all have our burdens to bear . . . but I'm not bearing this one alone! Here's the recipe. Once you've tasted them, you'll dance an Irish jig and start believing in leprechauns. I promise!!

Mint Chocolate Cookie Recipe

  • 1 box Devil's Food cake mix
  • 5 tbs. butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. peppermint extract, divided
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 5-6 drops green food coloring
  • 1 container vanilla frosting (about 16 oz.)
  • Green sugar sprinkles
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray cookie sheets lightly with nonstick spray.
  2. Beat cake mix, butter, eggs, and 1 tsp. peppermint extract in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed for 1-2 min until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
  3. Drop spoonfuls of dough on cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. Cool completely.
  4. Stir remaining 1 tsp. peppermint extract and food coloring with frosting, until well mixed. Frost cookies with desired amount of frosting and top with green sugar sprinkles.

See? I told you they were easy!! Now go forth and make much Irish minty chocolate goodness! Oh, and have a Happy St. Patties Day, too!!

3 comments:

Natalie Jackson said...

They look yummy! Happy St. Patrick's Day!

LeAnna said...

Those look so good!! And any cookie made with a cake mix is always so moist. I'll hafta try them!

LeAnna said...

I've been drooling over these all week, and have decided to say what the heck and make them. It's been a crummy past 2 days, I need some chocolate. :)