January 31, 2011

The Sickies End With a Laugh

Saturday morning, Jason and I sat in the living room. We talked about what to do with our day, tossing ideas around. Caleb, still recovering from a week of The Sickies, crawled up into my lap with a blanket and said in a woobie voice: "I feel so sick."

Don't feel too sorry for him. He learned that phrase recently and now uses it whenever he tries to be cute. Whether he feels ill or not. We smiled at him, and I wrapped him up in his blanket and let him snuggle.

A few minutes later, still undecided about our day, we asked Caleb what he would like to do.

"Chucky Cheese?" he asked hopefully. We started to laugh.

Casually I said, "You can't go to Chucky Cheese if you're sick, little boy."

He thought about that for a minute, then declared, "I feel better!"

We really had a laugh then. Silly, goofy child!

But the happy ending to this story is that we did spend time at Chuck E. Cheese's on Saturday. We had a happy, tuckered out little guy by the end of the day (which made us adult-types happy, as well!).

~~~

We fought a bout of influenza last week. Caleb woke up Monday with a fever that persisted for three days; he had a cough, sore throat, and runny nose. No appetite (wonder of wonders!) and no energy (I thought for sure hell had frozen over). In fact, I haven't seen him so sick since he was a baby. Seriously.

We spent a lot of time snuggling on the couch. Garfield cartoons. Blue's Clues. Pink Panther. Ice Age movies. We watched them all. Then we watched them again. He slept in bed with me at night (Jason relocated to the guest room, because our bed just isn't big enough for three!). Caleb would play a little, I'd clean a little. Cancelled plans with friends. Kept him home from school. Skipped bible study.

Yep, that's pretty much how the week went. But you know what? It was actually a rather restful week. Quiet, un-busy. It was nice. :)

And I got a chance to work on my rag rug. Which is a whole 'nuther story, because I figured out four blankets in that I was doing it wrong. I promise to give more details later. And maybe a picture or two of my progress so far.

In the meantime, Caleb is back to his old michievous self and I once again find myself on my toes trying to keep up! Happy Monday, all! Hope you have a good week!

No comments: