August 19, 2011

Making Hay



We made some hay today, friends. Yessiree.


We haven't had a lot of time for hay lately, even though there's been plenty of sun.


We were a little adventurous today. Instead of playing on the beach, we climbed rocks. Caleb risked life and limb forging trails across slippery cliffs above the ocean, and Mommy risked the same as she followed him in her definitely not-all-terrain sandles.

What can I say? Dangerous endeavors make for great mother-son bonding time. And today, we needed some of that.


Parts of the beach were fogged in when we arrived. But the sun took care of that.

About an hour later, Caleb looks around and says "Hey! Where'd all da froggy go?"

"The sun burned it away," I explain. He asks a lot of questions these days.

"Burned it away?" He ponders this as he goes back to the driftwood seesaw he's playing with.

Today was quiet. Restful. And dare I say it? Lazy.

Perfect.


Hard to believe that a mere month ago, this little boy was still in diapers. Now he sports Lightning McQueen and Perry the Platypus undies with great pride.

Thank you, Jesus! I never thought this day would come!

Ahem.

Potty-training is not for the faint-hearted. Or for those in a hurry. It's all about slow progress, small victories, and enormous amounts of candy. :) If you stop over to visit in the next week, look for the mason jars in my bathroom. You'll see what I mean.

And if you couldn't tell, I'm head-over-heels, over-the-moon excited to have my child out of diapers. Words cannot express.

We've done our best to make hay while the sun shines this summer.

In between surprise visits to Seattle for the Children's Hospital . . .


{Lake Washington, Seattle. Two weeks ago}


{A fun outing after a not-so-fun doctor's visit}


. . . and surprise weddings . . .

{Mr. and Mrs. James Smith}


{Helen's wedding last Friday}

. . . I guess you could say we've been busy. :) Making hay doesn't always mean sitting on a beach, though. Sometimes it means having surprise houseguests, who delight and bless you beyond what you could have ever expected. Sometimes it means adjusting your schedule as your husband begins to commute off-island for his job.



Lots been going on around here lately, friends. I'm sorry I've been away. I've missed the Inkwell, though I truly have needed the time.


How have y'all been? What stories have you lived this last month? Do tell, please. :)




1 comment:

LeAnna said...

Is it possible that you live in the most gorgeous part of the planet? I think so. Yes. I do. :sigh:
Glad to hear you've had a fun summer. We've been holed up in the house most of ours. It's going to be 100 again today, which is a nice cool down from 108 yesterday. Oh, and tomorrow it's going to be a mere 98 degrees. ;) Once again, another summer spent indoors (last year I was pregnant and miserable) but we're making indoor hay with lots of pretending and little plastic tractors. :) You are blessed, my friend. I've been wanting to call you for so long, and every time I think to it's too late. Aside from being cooped up indoors this summer, I have also felt like I'm missing a few important screws to hold my head on straight. You know those days, when you have to blink really hard just to concentrate? Every day life. I'm so worn out...but surely there will be a break before too long. I'll have to call and tell you about it all. I'm sure you can relate to some if not all of it. ;)
{hugs}