August 1, 2008

A Place of Useful Beauty

I think I'm in Paradise.

Oh, go ahead and laugh. But if you've never been to the Pacific Northwest, then the joke's on you. They call this God's country for a reason. A really really good reason. Here's why:






I don't think I've ever been in such a beautiful place before. Ireland comes close, but Ireland doesn't have forests. Other than that, they are tied for Most Beautiful Design in creation.

But Washington isn't just gorgeous in an ornamental sense. The beauty here is also incredibly useful. Here, raspberries and blackberries grow wild along the side of the road. The lakes are full of fish and are wonderfully cold for swimming when the sun gets too warm. At low tide, clams litter the beaches. Clams, and itty-bitty crabs that provide endless amusement for small boys who have learned to turn over the rocks and watch for the little critters as they scurry for new hiding places.

If you know what to look for, this island is teaming with life. Bald eagles, Queen Anne's Lace, deer, pine, trout. It's beautifully, wildly alive.

And people actually live here.

Even though we've been staying with Jason's family, I feel like we've been camping all week. I blame the pine trees, distant snow-covered mountains, and cool temperatures for that. Oh, and the smoked fish. Oh yes, it's mmm-mmm good! I believe I may have even surprised my in-laws (and my husband) with my enthusiasm for "outdoors" fun. =) I'm really a mountain woman at heart, but don't tell anyone, ok?

I'm just shocked that the things I've read about in books (the wild berry bushes and all) actually exist.

And people really live here. Amazing. I guess not everything I read is fiction.

I promise to share more pictures when we get home; we have had many adventures and first-time experiences this week. =) Between catching crab and smoking trout, hiking in the woods and swimming in the lake, the days have flown by and I can't believe we're actually leaving tomorrow. =(

Anyway, just wanted to share a snatch of our vacation with ya'll. Be back in Bloggie World in a few days!

1 comment:

La Petite Maison said...

Yay, I'm glad you had fun in WA! Someday I will live in the Northwest! :)