September 8, 2009

Autumn Cometh Early in the Pacific Northwest

The weather's turning.

Even though it's only September, fall is already here. Nights are colder, days cooler. Leaves are changing colors. Rain comes more frequently and jackets are no longer optional. Mmmmmm.

Imagine my surprise. I hale from California, where there are basically two seasons: hot and cool. If you're lucky, you get a month of nice fall-ish weather in between. Maybe around November. Not so in the Pacific Northwest. Summers are shorter this far north, and instead of two seasons we get all four.

Four. I have never in my life experienced four distinct seasons. I'm really rather excited about this.

Autumn is my favorite time of year. Hands down. And this year, I'm looking forward to three glorious months of it. :)

But what is fall without a house decked out in orange and red and brown? Without spiced apple candles burning and miniature pumpkins sitting on the window sill? My mom always decorated our house for fall when I was growing up. So did my best friend's mom. By the time I hit college, I just assumed everyone's mom did that and I looked forward to the day when I would decorate my own home, too.

I'm older and wiser now. I know there are people out there who do not get as excited about autumn as I do (what sad, cheerless people they must be!). Nonetheless, fall decorating has become a cherished tradition around here, one I eagerly anticipate. And I can't tell you how my lil' heart pitter patters when I think about living through a real fall and enjoying said decorations a month longer than usual.

To quote a movie I've seen way too many times: "I must scream to the world my excitement from the top of someplace very high!"

Yep, that about sums it up!

So today, while my son is busy NOT napping, I think I'll pull out the fall box from the closet and get to work with my leaves and acorns and pumpkins and scarecrows.

Oh, and if I go missing, do please tell Jason to look for me at Michaels Crafts. I got lost in there yesterday for over an hour, drooling, I MEAN, selecting some new pretties for the house. :)

3 comments:

LeAnna said...

I love Fall, too. Unfortunately some years we go straight from hot to cold, and don't get much fallish weather. I hope this year is different. It's the curse of livng smack dab in the middle of the jet stream. Take pictures when you get everything prettified!

La Petite Maison said...

Should you be surprised that autumn is also my favorite season? ;) I do know from reading other Pacific Northwest- based blogs that its writers are not too keen on the fact that summer is over. I'll wait a little bit to take out my fall decorations--- it's still a little warm for spicy colors and cinnamon at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Mmm... I love fall too!